About Me

My photo
I'm Swiss European :) for the year ;)

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

A random compilation. Enjoy

I am the worst blogger. I know. I'm sorry.  It really does mean so much to me that so many of my friends and family read my blog. It makes me really happy when I get reprimanded by Lisa or Paige or my mom, about how I need to update more.  So for the moment I am wondering where I should begin. My last entry was just before the Christmas Holidays and so much has happened since then.  So off the top of my head, here goes nothing:

I sometimes think to myself, 'man I wish I had a blog specifically for my family.' It would contain the most appropriate stories, then I would have my "real" blog, in which I would tell the whole truth of what goes on in my day to day life.  Not that ridiculous things happen to me every day; Christmas in England was just an exception.  What a week!  I'm in a pickle because I would love to truly explain what I experienced during my time there but I can't do that without slandering certain people and that would not be classy.  So instead, I'm sorry but this is all the detail you get, (because it is safe) Liverpool is a great city. Oliver's roommates and their girlfriends are really great people and I genuinely enjoyed hanging out with them.  The Cavern Club where the Beatles first played together as a group was one of the best bars I've ever been to. It's basically underground and the band that was playing that night happened to be fantastic!
The sights I saw in London (Big Ben, Buckingham Palace, etc. see facebook photos) were beautiful.  I'm happy that I can go home and say that I got to visit England.  


When I got home from the U.K. I decided to take my swiss family up on their offer to go skiing in the alps.  Klosters specifically, which just so happens to be the ski area of choice for Prince William and Prince Harry. Oh stop!
I had never been skiing before and Stefan (my host dad as we nannies call them) was so sweet to help me out.  My first couple of rounds down a very easy slope he held my hands.  Then I got to a point where I was skiing all on my own and using the poles.  On my last round, as luck would have it, I lost control of my skis and barreled into Stefan.  He had to stop me somehow so he just put his arms in front of him, and brought me to the ground via his hands to my chest....awkward.  Or semi awkward because two seconds later that gesture proved to be too weak to stop my incredible speed and he ended up on top of me.  The two of us lying together in the snow and Stefan profusely apologizing for the way he had to stop me, that was awkward.

I've been reading a lot since I've been in Switzerland.  Well I am used to reading a lot but not for pleasure, I never had the time with all of my assigned readings for school.  Today I finished 'Push' the novel that the movie 'Precious' is based off of.  It's a very quick read, it took me a day and a half to get through it but I must say I wouldn't recommend the book to anyone.  It's very sad, but not the kind of sad that is deep and inspiring and pulls up great emotions in you.  I really felt that a lot of the terrible things I read were written down specifically for shock value.  Maybe I'll watch the movie and then I'll have a better perspective on the story.



But while I'm on the subject of book recommendations I have to urge you all to read 'Columbine' by Dave Cullen.  It is a fantastic piece of historical journalism!  One of my favorite books!  I was assigned to read it in my Mystery of Murder history course (my favorite class in college by the way) and had to write a paper on it.  I miss going to history classes :(
Cullen's book was ten years in the making. He was on the scene the day of the shootings and stayed on top of it for the next decade, talking to everyone involved, reading and analyzing the killers journals.  You really feel like a fly on the wall in every single aspect of the tragedy.  Read it.


I turned 23 this past Sunday.  Last year when I turned 22 I was so sad, 'I'm really an adult now ugh 22 I'm halfway dead!'  But I decided that this year I am going to be excited! I'm still young, I'm "in my twenties" and life is good.  I live in Switzerland, I get paid to play with four sweet girls, I live in one of the most beautiful cities in the world, I still keep in constant contact with my family and my best friends, and I am healthy and happy.

Happy New Year! Happy 23rd Year to me! 

1 comment:

  1. Well, you're a great blogger today in my view, BW. Haha. Anyone who says such nice things about my book is ok by me. Thanks.

    And for anyone reading who is close to a student or teacher, I just created a (free) Columbine Student Guide and Columbine Teacher’s Guide. We have had a lot of interest from kids and teachers about using the book in schools, so we're trying to help them out. Please spread the word. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete